What is it all about?
How does the directory structure look like? Wher puts StickBackup his files?
- Configuration file: the configuration file will be placed at your home directory with the name ".stickbackup".
- Backup files and directories: the backup hinself will be placed in a subdirectory called "backup" on the configured destination directory. After a backup, this directory contains the same content like the configured source.
- Archived files and directories: the archived files will be placed in a subdirectory called "archived" on the configured destination directory. Archived files and directories will be placed in a subdirectory called after the execution date and time of the backup. The form of the name is: year, month, day, hour, minute, second together without spaces.
Description of main window
- state label below progress bar: the state label informs you for the state of the process.
- Source and Backup table after preparing the backup: After clicking the button "Continue", the preparing of the backup begins. You'll see only the file or last directory name in the list. If you need to see the full path of an entry, move the mouse pointer over the entry and you'll see the full path of this entry in a tooltip-window. You'll see here what StickBackup plans to do:
- green entry means a new file or directory. They are always on the left side. The file or directory will be added as new file to the backup.
- yellow entry means a changed file or directory. The file on the right will be moved to the archive and the file on the left will be copied to the backup.
- blue entry means a file or directory is deleted in the source. They are always on the right side. The file or directory will be moved from the backup into the archive.
- Source and Backup Table if a process is running: After clicking the button "Continue" the second time, you'll see on which files StickBackup is currently working on:
- red entry means StickBackup currently works on that file or directory. If it is on the left side, the file is currently copied to the archive. If it is on the right side, the file is currently moving to the archive.
- light grey entry means StickBackup has finished his work on this file or directory.
- Configuration button: If you click this button, you'll be able to change the configuration (see below). After changing the configuration, StickBackup will reset to the initial state just before preparing the backup.
- Abort button: If you like to abort StickBackup, this is the button for you.
- Continue button: Continues the process: * Initial click: Immediately after startup or if you've changed the configuration, StickBackup begins to prepare the backup. After preparing, you'll see what StickBackup plans to do. * Second click: After preparing the backup, StickBackup will do the real work: archiving obsolete files and directories and copy files and directories from the stick to the backup. * Third click: After the backup is finished, the third click will simply terminate StickBackup.
Description of the configuration window
- Source line: The source line configures the source directory to backup.
- Destination line: the destination line configures the place where the backup will be placed.
- "..." Button on line: on click, a file dialog opens and gives the possibility to choose a directory for each line.
- flag with the label "Check windows drive name": This is only available on windows, because it only makes sense there. If the flag is choosen, StickBackup will search for the drive name instead of the letter. If StickBackup doesn't find the name, it will use the letter. However it is recommended to test if you have a unique drive name before using this option.